Building a Better Traditional Burn Deck
Now I know what you're all thinking.
"Burn decks are too cheap. I don't want to play them." Yeah, that is a good argument, but sometimes if you want to play a game and don't have a whole lot of time, it can be a good choice. For those that do
want to play them I wrote this article a while back (a couple years ago) and figured that I should post it here. If you want a deck list there is one at the bottom.
Burn decks are fairly powerful in the Yugioh! Trading Card Game, but not unbeatable by any means. Without cards for stalling, they have very few cards to protect your Life Points. If you want a good burn deck, use stall cards to help prevent taking damage. This may also help prevent the attacking (and immediately destroying) face-down cards. Here are some example cards that have devastating abilities and how to use them.Some Good Defenders that May Also Deal Damage:Marshmallon
- Indestructible in battle.
- Deals 1000 damage when this face-down card is attacked.Des Koala
- A good 1800 DEF.
- Deals 400 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points for each card in their hand. This effect and others can really work well with Morphing Jar, which can also come in hand since a lot of burn decks use up their hands quickly.Stealth Bird
- A good 1700 DEF.
- Whenever Flip Summoned (NOT flipped by battle or a card effect), it deals 1000 damage to the opponent.Giant Germ
- Deals 500 damage to opponent when destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard.
- Fetches up to 2 more of itself from the Deck.Some Other Good Defenders:Spirit Reaper
- Indestructible in battle.Nimble Momonga
- Exactly like Giant Germ, but instead of dealing 500 damage to your opponent, it increases your Life Points by 1000.Some Good Offensive Monsters that may Deal Effect/Battle Damage:Reflect Bounder
- A good 1700 ATK.
- Whenever attacked while in Attack Position, your opponent takes damage equal to their attacking monster's ATK.Amazoness Swords Woman
- Your opponent takes all battle damage from battles involving this monster, even if you're the one attacking.Chthonian Soldier
- Whenever destroyed by an opponent's attacking monster and sent to the Graveyard, your opponent takes the same amount of battle damage that you take.Fire Trooper
- Deals 1000 damage for its own lifeThestalos the Firestorm Monarch
- Makes your opponent randomly discard. If it's a Monster Card, it deals damage to your opponent equal to the Level of that Monster x 100.
- Has a strong 2400 ATK and only needs 1 tribute.Some "Life Point" Threatening Spells/Traps:Tremendous Fire
- You may take 500 damage, but your opponent takes 1000.Poison of the Old Man
- Either heal your life by 1200 or deal 800 damage to your opponent's Life Points.Wave-Motion Cannon
- For each of your Standby Phases that this card remains on the field, it deals 1000 damage to your opponent when you send it to the Graveyard.Ceasefire
- All face-down monsters are flipped face-up and their effects are not activated. Your opponent takes 500 damage for each Effect Monster on the field. This can work really well with Stealth Bird, because you can flip Stealth Bird face-down again during your Main Phase with its own effect.Just Desserts
- Deals 500 damage to your opponent for each monster they have on the field.Meteor of Destruction
- 1000 damage strait to the head, given that they have more than 3000 life points.Some Good Stalling Spells/Traps:Gravity Bind
- Prevents any monsters with 4 or more stars (Level 4 or higher) from attacking.Level Limit Area - B
- Keeps all Level 4 or higher monsters in Defense Position.Swords of Revealing Light
- Prevents your opponent from attacking for 3 of their turns.Nightmare's Steelcage
- Prevents anyone from attacking for 2 of your opponent's turns.Some Good Stalling Spells/Traps that are Also Good for Dealing Damage:Ojama Trio
- Places 3 Ojama tokens, which count as monsters and cards, on your opponent's side of the field.
- When an Ojama token created by this is destroyed (not tributed or just sent to the Graveyard), it deals 300 damage to its controller.
3 tokens that cannot be tributed for a Tribute Summon limits your opponent's summoning ability. They may however be tributed for other purposes. (ex. Lava Golem)Magic Cylinder
- Negates your opponent's attack.
- Deals damage to their Life Points equal to their attacking monster's ATK.Dimension Wall
- Redirects the battle damage that you would have taken (even if reduced to 0 by a card effect such as Spirit Barrier) to your opponent's Life Points. If you don't believe it can redirect reduced damage at full power, then you haven't used/played against it in the Yugioh! World Championship 2008 game for Nintendo DS. That game is the official software of the Yugioh! World Tournament and all rules in the game are applied the same as they would be in the real game.Mirage Tube
- Deals 1000 damage to attacking opponent whenever a face-up monster you control becomes an attack target.Some Good Cards for Controlling the Field:Ojama Trio
- Puts 3 Monster tokens that cannot be tributed for Tribute Summoning into play under your opponent's control.
- Whenever any of the tokens is destroyed they deal 300 damage to their controller each.Mirror Force
- When your opponent attacks, you can activate this to destroy all Attack-Position monsters they control. This, in turn, negates the battle.Some Good Cards for Milling:
(can be useful for protection against strategies)Needle Worm
- Sends 5 cards from the top of your opponent's deck to the Graveyard.Gravekeeper's Servant
- Your opponent must send a card from the top of their deck to the Graveyard in order to declare an attack for each monster they use.Some Good Stalling Combos:Cloudian Monsters + Spirit Barrier
- A lot of cloudian monsters have to be in Attack Position but are indestructible in battle. Since this allows your opponent to deal remaining damage to your Life Points, Spirit Barrier can come in very handySome Good Combos:Lava Golem + Gravity Bind (or similar card)
- Lava Golem is Special Summoned to the field by tributing 2 of your opponent's monsters.
- Lava Golem deals 1000 damage to its controller during each of their Standby Phases, but it has 3000 ATK. This is why Gravity Bind will come in handy.Morphing Jar + Des Koala (or Secret Barrel)
- The result of Morphing Jar leaves your opponent with 5 cards in their hand. Des Koala and Secret Barrel deal damage based on that. Secret Barrel also deals damage based on the number of cards on your opponent's side of the field.Ojama Trio + Lava Golem
- The tokens may be used as tributes since Lava Golem is Special Summoned and not Tribute Summoned. However, since the tokens are being tributed and not destroyed, they do not deal the 300 extra damage. If your opponent has any other monsters available to tribute, I recommend it. Those monsters are the ones he/she needs.Ojama Trio + Secret Barrel (or Just Desserts)
- Ojama Trio places 3 Ojama tokens on your opponent's side of the field. A token is used as a monster and counted as a card. If you have 5 tokens out, you cannot Summon any monsters. Then Secret Barrel can deal 900 more damage to your opponent's Life Points for the 3 tokens and Just Desserts can deal another 1500.
2 Lava GolemNon-Tribute:
1 Des Koala
3 Fire Trooper
1 Morphing Jar
1 Princess of Tsurugi
3 Reflect Bounder
1 Spirit Reaper
3 Stealth Bird
3 SubmarineroidSpells: 13
1 Dark Room of Nightmare
2 Meteor of Destruction
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Pot of Avarice
1 Swords of Revealing Light
1 The Dark Door
3 Tremendous Fire
3 Wave-Motion CannonTraps: 8
1 Magic Cylinder
1 Minor Goblin Official
1 Mirror Force
1 Ojama Trio
2 Scrap-Iron Scarecrow
1 Solemn Wishes